looks like a baby

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Today we had our first trimester screening at UAB. This is an optional screening for all pregnant women, that shows pretty good indications of whether or not you might be at risk for downs syndrome or one of the other trisomy's. It also is a good indicator for congenital heart defects. I have seen enough in my own medical experience, to want to be as prepared as we can for this baby. However, this morning, I was thinking- you know, maybe I would be okay NOT knowing. Oh well, it was too late, and I knew the non-emotional part of me knew this would hopefully be a helpful thing.

So, the good news is we got to see the baby. Isn't he/she cute? The Doctor was very scientific and mostly what I heard was bla bla bla, downs syndrome, bla bla bla, more downs syndrome. So I was about to have a full on panic attack the whole time. Keep in mind, as he is giving his little talk, he is moving the ultra sound around, taking measurements, giving you no indication if you need to worry about all his bla, bla, blas. Finally, at the end, he said "everything looks as it should". I had some blood work as well, which will be back in a week or so. The ultra sound along with the labs will be evaluated, and then I'll find out our risks, etc.... Sounds fun, huh?

It was reassuring to this little baby today. I try so hard not to worry, but I just do. 

2nd trimester, here I come.


6 comments :

Tirzah said...

Thank you for this picture! I am so excite about this baby!

Suzanne Owen Jones said...

so, so cute.

Camille said...

I can't believe you are starting your second tri-mester already! that is so exciting! he/she is very cute. :)

Summer said...

Hi Brooke...somehow I stumbled upon your blog...haven't seen you in so long but so glad to see you are doing so well and pregnant! Summer Sisk O'Neal

susan said...

It's like magic to see them like that.

Corrie said...

Beautiful, Brooke. I can't wait until you guys find out if it's a boy or girl. Have you already got definite names?

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground