phase one.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I feel like I can confidently start writing about this, because I have a small amount of confidence that I have not had, and a long enough way to go to keep me humble. I have tried, perhaps too hard sometimes, to be honest on this blog, and share my life. so here's what's been happening...

so, around October of this past year, I slammed up against a wall.

3 years of infertility.
a move to middle america.
2 hard pregnancies.
Alopecia diagnosis
and a spiritual crisis later.

I was done. mentally. physically. spiritually.

I needed a major lifestyle change.

I had played around with weight watchers. I had joined a gym, which totally stressed me out to GET to- just wrangling the kids and getting there was enough to send me straight to the donut shop.

anyway, my point being, that I was unhappy with the way my life "felt", from the inside out. I was tired. stressed. and lethargic. and physically, I just wanted to be a better me.

so, enters phase 1.

I knew from the get go, that I HAD to get physical activity back into my life. And I knew, I KNEW, it had to be something attainable. something accessible. Something that didn't require me to transport kids in anything, to anywhere. I needed to do it every day. and I needed to sweat.

With two kids in diapers (at the time, thankfully one has graduated!), even getting the kids dressed for a walk was sketchy- and with this wild Oklahoma weather, it just wasn't something I could depend on every. single. day.

I knew, at least for phase 1, it had to be this way.

So, enters spin bike and my trusty POLAR heart rate monitor.

About 14 weeks ago, I started riding that bike every day, usually taking at least 1 day off. sometimes 2. But for 14 weeks, I have consistently hopped on my bike, and rode. and sweat. It has helped my mental state more than you know.

I wanted (and still want) all the benefits of exercising- one of them being weight loss- but phase one was not about that. If anything, I wanted to see what exercise looked like without me changing much of anything else. For me, I have learned that major overhauls last about a week for me- and this was about a major life change. I was (and am) willing to take it slow to see what actually works. What  I can keep. What I can't.

And that's where I am, as I enter phase 2.

And what's phase 2?

Dropping the poundage.

But I am not facing it with dread. Which is great! I feel like I have this great accomplishment under my belt, something I KNOW will help me in the coming months.

What I learned from phase 1 was that as much as I like those brownies in a cup (thanks, pinterest!), I can't have that every night. Or any dessert every night. I can't drink sweet tea every day. If I am honest, which I am trying to be, I was doing this more than I care to admit.

I also just can't have cookies and cakes around. I just eat them. they are too good. I have weak when they are near. I am powerless in their presence. and that is not an exaggeration.

So phase 2 will be a work in progress. Learning what I can have and what I can't.

I am keeping my coffee with the hazelnut creamer. just so you know.

I don't know if I'll try and sneak something small in each  day, or have one cheat day a week and eat as I wish- but I do promise to check in several months from now and let you know how it all went down.

What I won't be doing is telling you how to change your life. We all have lives and we all know what it takes to get through the day. People are strangely and beautifully different. I won't be telling you to give up your sugar, and never eat flour again. I'll share what is working for me, and most likely how I took the long road in getting there. For some of you, you might to do good to eat MORE brownies. Who knows, but what I do know is that food is a beautiful thing to be enjoyed, and phase 2 is about getting that right. at least right for me.

I am ok with it being long, as long as I get there.

I'm gonna get there.

I don't know what phase 3 is, but I think it has something to do with God. but we'll see when we get there.

thanks for letting me share.

5 comments :

kevin_sheby said...

yahoo! I hear you on the powerlessness-in-the-presence of sweets part!

i'm trying to add things into my diet, rather than just cutting things out. adding things like whole fruits and lots of leafy greens. it's weird how it makes a difference...

(not that I'm telling you you should do that, too. i'm just sharing.) :)

and i'm proud of you. and i'm not giving up my coffee either. :)

kevin_sheby said...

oops. of course, this is susan and not kevin. :)

Inkling said...

I don't comment here often, mainly because I still feel like it's a little rude of me to be reading when we haven't met in person even though we know people in common through STL connections. But every single time I come here, it is like finding a friend who is walking the same road, who knows the struggles and inner workings of this whole motherhood/theology/personal health/emotional health deal. And I am grateful. It makes this big old world seem a little less lonely and it makes me feel a little less crazy for thinking and struggling like I do.

And the bike thing......I totally want one. But for now, I'm trying to fall in love with the free elliptical I was given. Thanks for the inspiration, whether or not you meant to. =)

Brooke Jared said...

susan, thank you . as always. and inkling- you are not rude, and I cherish your comments. I feel like a broken record on here so much, and it is a great encouragement that my words are just bouncing off something lifeless in the cosmos. If they are being heard by another human and it makes someone feel less alone, than all my whining is worth it:) I would surely die without words- my own, and others. hang in there!

littlestreetfighter's Mom said...

this is great brooke, thx for sharing...it's actually very inspiring, though your were just sharing your heart, b/c as moms I think we find it hard to look after ourselves. I've gotten really bad about not taking care and exercising. I am hoping to turn over a new leaf this year. I'm so impressed you manage to get on your back nearly everyday...I usually talk myself out of exercise and thought of you the other day getting on your bike even when babies were crying...I need to realize that everything won't be perfect so I just need to get after it. With that said, I'm going to go for a run!!! thx for that motivation!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground