just write: Winter

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

(written in participation with "just write")

Winter is coming early. or at least it's peaking its head in for a visit. I am trying to be hospitable. I pulled the curtains and lit some candles. I managed to get one child to sleep, and swept the floors so the other could crawl without danger.

it can be dangerous around here.

I have been thinking a lot about being a mother the past few days.

I remember aching for park play dates, with friends. how pleasant that would be.

It can be.

Or it can be like today when your child is kicking hay and dust and rolling around screaming because, well, we have to leave the pumpkin patch.

It was  fun. but it wasn't like I used to dream such days would be. There is always work even in attempts at play. The shepherding. The protecting. The discipline.

And then Winter came. It was blowing up dust and raining cold drops carried by a north wind.

and we headed home.

I read and article today. over here. I wanted to hug her. thank her.

One of the reasons that I am drawn to the sacramental Church ( refer here to our Catholic Journey)- is the  idea that the ordinary is sacred.

Changing diapers. sacred.
My child's laugh. sacred.
Just being here. present. sacred.

and even Winter, and it's cold days.

sacred.







2 comments :

Anonymous said...

lighting a candle to welcome winter. yes, i like that.

NLS 1993 said...

wow this is good. Thank you.

I'm off to read the post at Donald Miller's place. He's a favorite. I'm looking forward to a guest post there. :)

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground