another saturday morning; more confessions

Saturday, May 26, 2007

well, for all my complaining, I have a had a nice couple of weeks. Work has been slower (which is positive in the heart surgery business). The weather has been lovely. I have been reading good books. When I can manage some perspective, I am doing pretty darn good.

I read a letter yesterday from a friend who works for MedAir in Africa. This woman is amazing, the things she sacrifices on a daily basis. The things the SEES on a daily basis. She rides in single engine airplanes and lands on muddy rocks, all to deliver help, food, medical supplies, hope. She faces death almost everyday, in one way or another. I always have this sense of awe and guilt when I read her letters. Awe- that she has chosen to live her life in this way. Serving the people who can't fight for themselves. guilt- all the wars I have in my head and in heart without ever being willing to just DO what I say is true. I fight for myself most, if not all of the time.

she writes, " Listening to music under my ear mufflers, sitting back pondering the work I do, trying to process all the difficult images and stories that come my way. It is all so horrific and often at the same time so majestic and beautiful, so exciting and inspiring, so frustrating and chaotic, that I honestly don’t know where to start in describing it all to you."- anne


I'll be honest, alot of days I feel like I am on a first class seat going straight to you know where. It's a difficult thing to believe that God can love so many kinds of people- let alone, me. I really don't deserve that kind of love. I suppose most of us feel that way- which is why we hang on to being right, things, pride, beauty, friends. I hold the death grip on all of these things, most days.

well, the coffee cup is almost dry. summer is here. my new website will be up NEXT week. I start fertility treatments this month which will prove to be a real treat, I am sure. I am reading three books at the same time, right now, which is also aiding my craziness and rapid thought sequences. oh- and josh and I are starting "8 weeks of healthy living". this year has left us feeling like big, giant marshmellows. day 1 starts today. I wouldn't be surprised if they had to carry us out of the gym on stretchers.

happy holiday weekend...

***we made it through the workout. day one, check! I swam for the last part of my workout and now have no feeling in my arms. here's to health! whoo hoo!








6 comments :

Anonymous said...

brookie, i'm in birmingham!! and i'm mad at myself for not having your phone number from last time! anyway, if you read this before monday morning call me! 863.521.0651

Anonymous said...

Brooke, confessional: I've never read a Walker Percy book!! Yes, I did spend 32 years in Alabama - I'm ashamed. Should I start with Love in the Ruins? The Moviegoer? What do you think?

Brooke Jared said...

hey brian....ummm. i think the moviegoer is a get your feet wet kind with percy kind of book. it was my first, and i loved it. however, love in the ruins is my husband's favorite book- and percy's critique on modernity- a little out there, but a really good. they are two very different books, so don't read one, without reading the other. my favorite is the second coming (but it is a follow-up to the last gentleman, so you would probably want to read that first)...all that to say, my vote is the moviegoer.

Anonymous said...

brooke, i actually just read your blog.... i love you. that was awesome. and it was so great to see you and josh this weekend, as usual. :)

John Mark said...

Brooke,

I love your blog! Are you going to ART?

Shea

Brooke Jared said...

hello shea!

yes, I am. they have been great and positive which are both good things.

thanks...

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground