I feel like we ache for Summer to leave as much as we long for its arrival.
In June, we've endured Winter's chill, and Spring's beautiful (but often stormy and sneezy) presence, but Summer, ah Summer, it's long days and lazy ways are a wonderful, anticipated welcome.
Until August.
And you are over 114 degree days. Over sunscreen. Over the water. Over frozen yogurt trips. Just over it.
And then this week happens, as the first day of school pics come in. All the crisp new clothes. smiling faces. You can almost taste the warm soups and pumpkin patches in your near future.
and every year, every season, comes and goes the same way. I suppose Winter and Summer, being the extremes, we tend to see them go with more emotion, more thankfulness- for the next thing.
I am no different.
My kids don't start their preschool program until after labor day.
It's just two days. Just 10 hours a week, but man, it's so good for all of us.
And because it's monday, and because the sun woke up and made me face the day, we piled in the car, and headed to the zoo on a beautiful morning that reminded all of us that the warm days are less warm, the breeze has shifted to the north again. We rode trains and watched sea lions. Millie snuggled up to be on our rides. Annie watched with wonder at the birds and chimps.
I know it's good. life. these little people.
I also know that it's hard, and I fight (and I do mean fight) to find the joy. seek it out.
believe it's there.
I chose to believe it today. I drove to the zoo, and placed my body in the outdoors, and said to Joy- prove it.
And joy did make itself known.
and we're back. The dirty dishes. the laundry. the crumbs.
They feel less daunting, though.
and less daunting is good.
No comments :
Post a Comment