The following is from G.K. Chesterton, on joy.
Josh and I have been saying that this is "the year of the yard". Because ours has beautiful things, but its all wrangled and overgrown, and the weeds are choking the life out of it!
I am also adding that this is "the year of joy"
Chesterton writes a lot on joy, and I think, well I KNOW, that this is something that I have a difficult time tapping into. In the quote below, he says something that has thoroughly flattened me.
"melancholy should be an innocent interlude, a tender and fugitive frame of mind"...
Anyway, I am listening.
Man is more himself, man is more manlike, when joy is the fundamental thing in him, and grief the superficial. Melancholy should be an innocent interlude, a tender and fugitive frame of mind; praise should be the permanent pulsation of the soul.
Pessimism is at best an emotional half-holiday; joy is the uproarious labour by which all things live.
thoughts?
1 comment :
Let me know when you figure it out. ;-)
Post a Comment