My experience of our recent earthquake was something akin to the Madeline story that I read to Annie.
"In the middle of one night, Miss Clavell turned on the light and said "something is NOT RIGHT!....
And afraid of disaster, Miss Clavell ran FAST and FASTER!"
So yes, the other night night, as I lay in what can only be described as a nyquil induced coma, I heard something roar like a lion, and before I could sit straight up in bed, and I do mean STRAIGHT UP, the house started shaking. like crazy shaking. Josh and I darted in some sleep crazed sprint to each of the girls' bedrooms. I found Annie on her knees with a big grin on her face.
I exclaim, " are you ok???" (house still shaking).
Annie says, " I, ok!"
I lay her down, realizing I have no idea what is really happening. Am I in a nyquil dream? Can I press rewind? I think I am shaking. I look at my hands, I am.
My heart is shaking too. I walk my shaky legs back to my bed. My eyes hurt.
I look at Josh.
"that was crazy."
and then I did what any post-earthquake victim would and should do.
Must. write. witty. Facebook. update.
I am thinking, this thing needs to get documented.
So, me and every other Tulsan, jumped on their smart devices and exclaimed in sleep crazed post-earthquaked words that they hath been shaken.
It seemed that as quickly as the earth rolled under me, it stood still and silent again.
So, having properly documented this historic event, I remembered how sick I actually was,
and I closed my eyes.
I woke up thankful, because though the earth rolling underneath you for the first time feels quite profound, we were left un-cracked, so to speak- but such an event gives one a healthy respect for how quickly life can change. The earth and its rumbles have a way of squaring you up with the Creator of All.
I am small. and things change fast. I am always at the mercy of God's grand mysteries.
They come quietly, and sometimes violently. and I don't claim to understand them at all.
Sometimes they make you marvel and gaze in wonder.
Sometimes they make you weep, and only utter the words.
"Lord, come quickly."
This morning, I live in the vast space of those two extremes. The rain falls, life is quiet, minus a few runny noses. We are lucky to live in such a space, this I know for sure. I remind myself to savor, because I know, I know, that the grass withers and the flowers fall. eventually.
our lives ebb and flow in between these great mysteries. these great extremes.
and so we wait, as only we can do. and find rest where God has given his quietness.
2 comments :
Beautiful.
Wow, how terrifying! Glad everyone was alright!
Post a Comment