words

Monday, May 23, 2011

my heart is heavy today in the wake of the loss of my old pastor, Steve.

There are few people who have awakened my heart towards the spiritual like him- and much of what I have found myself pursuing and longing for over the past 10 years is a result of his wise words, sermons, and care for worship and communion.

Steve was also broken, and that story is a complicated one, one I have no business retelling- for I really know so little. I know I lost a pastor- and I have taken time over the years to grieve that- and often find myself still grieving that loss of a shepherd at times. But, time moves on, and eventually you lay some things to rest, and pray for the wideness in God's mercy- for you and everyone you know. We certainly need it. He was no different.

I have thought about Steve today. Released from this world that we fight so hard to stay in, because all the people we love are here, I guess. This same world that fights us back at every turn, it seems. I was just watching the news, at the tornado devastation just a 100 miles from our home. I long for a truly safe place. but there is no such thing, it seems. Not this side of heaven.

When Steve started our little church Red Mountain- he always quoted C.S. Lewis's "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe"

Is - is he a man?" asked Lucy
"Aslan a man!" said Mr. Beaver sternly. "Certainly not. I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion, the Lion, the great Lion."
"Ooh," said Susan, "I thought he was a man. Is he - quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous about meeting a lion."
"That you will, dearie, abd make no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver; "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or else just silly."
"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the king I tell you.

Thankful tonight, for words that live on.




2 comments :

Susan said...

ellie had just told me before i read this... i am sad, even just knowing him from a distance, and i know he's a great loss.

Marc & Amy said...

Brooke, didn't know you were touched by his ministry. We, like the rest of the RUF family, are saddened and grieving as well.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground