


It's Tuesday, and I am working late, so why not a different font?
This weekend I got two new lenses for my camera. Friends are always asking me about cameras and lenses, and alot of the things I learned about photography came from blogs and people who shared their likes and dislikes. Lovely people like her and her. Oh and her and her.
Anyway, what I have learned along the way, is that I mostly like to shoot with primes. "primes" are fixed focal length lenses. So what you see and is what you get. You "zoom" in and and out on your feet. I primarily use an 85mm lens (which I love for adults), and a 50 mm lens (which I love for kids). I do have a 35mm lens which offers some wide-ness, and I use it on occasion with kids as well. If you are just getting started with photography, and you happen to shoot canon, they make a 50mm lens for under 100.00. This is a great starter lens, and considered "standard" by many photographers. It gives you that nice shallow depth of field, which I love. It's also a fast lens, good for low light situations.
Anyway, a few weeks ago I dropped my little 50mm lens walking back from photo shoot. It hasn't worked the same since, which gave me the excuse to go ahead and get a new 50 mm lens, which is a bit nicer, more durable, faster. I haven't used it yet, but I am looking forward to it. The very cool girl who sold it to me (who shoots nikon) confessed to me that this was her favorite lens. We'll see if it will be mine.
I also broke down and bought a wide angled zoom, a 10-22mm lens. I have a few projects going on where I really needed something wide. I was not all that excited about spending the money on this, as I don't really do the kind of photography that lends itself to this kind of lens- but after playing around with it in the house, I have grown to see its creative possibilities, and think I just might like it.
And one more thing, check out this new creative blog, called shutter sisters. A great community/and collaboration of women who take photos for fun and professionally.
5 comments :
brooke, i think a while back, you turned me on to "superhero" and now, i've followed some of the same blogs you mentioned...shutter sisters is cool. i LOVE their sense of community in creating rather than competition. admirable.
on another note, i LOVE your house. i think we have similar tastes... which is probably why i liked you so much way back when!! ;)
very fun. I love the type and I have been meaning to ask how did you get the background on this new look from blogger. I am soooooooo bored with mine...
Very cool. I actually got a new 50 (and another lens) several weeks ago. Love it!
katie- thanks! I love my little house, too. even it is slightly in the ghetto.
tirzah- i'll email you the link.
kristen- what other kind of lens did you get????
In addition to the 50/1.4 I got one of these: http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/2875mm.asp
I needed something a little wider than a 50, but wanted my first zoom to be light. I am pretty happy with it!
Post a Comment