I love the idea of the city. The people. commerce. walking about. Proximity. Diversity.
...but in the last year we've had
-one homeless man living in our back yard.
-woke up to our neighbor yelling at his girlfriend while shooting off a gun after every few expletives (me, calling 911 lying on the floor so as not to get shot)
-one murder, at the end our street
-stolen lawn mower, weed eater.
- not to mention, the tree falling on the house.
- our neighbors cars were wrecked badly last week from a hit and run (their cars were parked)
-and suz (who lives just around the corner), poor thing, she has had too many things stolen to even recount.
I find this all very frustrating. Because I love my old house with its old floors and big front porch. I love the city sounds and so much life nearby.
But then I walk down a quiet street, elsewhere, or really get out of town- and you can hear yourself breath. and it feels like 10 tons of rocks have been lifted off my chest. and I realize how much it takes to live here sometimes. how crowded it makes my heart feel. and my head.
And then, this morning there is an asian man inspecting my back yard for scrap wood (I had already seen him looking through the pile at the bottom of the driveway). Harmless, I suppose, but it annoyed me still. Sharing my space with the city and its wandering souls.
4 comments :
Yes, I get this.
AMEN SISTER! I am ready to live behind the gates somewhere, anywhere but here. Hudson and me had this very discussion tonight on why I want to sell our house. I used to have passion and love for this neighborhood, but it is long gone....
dude, i completely hear you. there is so much that i love about where i live and right now there's nowhere else i'd choose to be, but i do feel it compress my chest. it feels cluttered. and close. and homeless people digging thru your trash and gunshots at night and fights through open windows, and the myriad number of parking tickets i acquire have their way of taking a toll.
Post a Comment