Walker Percy

Friday, October 08, 2004

I thought I should intruduce my blog with an explantion of its title. My husband and I stumbled upon Walker Percy sometime a couple of years ago through a mutual friend. This was actually before we were married, so perhaps there is a tender place in my heart towards Percy because so many of our first conversations were about his writings. Anyhow-Love in the Ruins is the title to one of his books, and perhaps my husband's favorite. Ironically, I was beginning this book when we started dating and soon found myself to be strangely "distracted". I have never finished it. In any case, I like the title and hope to understand what Walker Percy meant by it-someday:) Perhaps I am drawn to the words because they describe something of my own life. What does love look like in brokenness?

for more on Walker Percy, click.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Re your question, consider...

a port to a foundering boat in a storm,

an oasis to a parched and sunburned desert dweller,

a support group to a struggling alcoholic,

a place to land to a plane with engine trouble,

and a thousand, nay million more analogies.

As humans we are all vulnerable to the reality of our mortality and inabilities to deal with all that comes our way. In a sense we all live in the ruins (some obviously worse than others) and just try to make the best of our daily existence - just like the moviegoer. Love in brokeness? Is there any other kind?

swe

Anonymous said...

What does "Love look like in Brokeness"?

Hands pierced and scarred by nails, a head crowned with thorns and the piercing cry from the hill, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing".

Oh, to love like that!

rd

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground