stories

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

So I was driving with my friend Leslie and she told me how a man at our church made an observation. The observation was about my generation and how we have no history. Of course, this is not true. We all have stories. He just doesn't know them. In the past three years, this man has seen an influx of young adults flock to his church. Before, this church was mostly made up of families. Families who stayed. This man knows that man's son. He knows when he was a little kid making his parents crazy. He remembers the child's baptism. He remembers when the child doubted and when he came back "home". He went to his wedding last week. My church is filled with these families. It is one of the reasons I wanted to worship there. These people knew each other and have known each other. Grown children sit with their moms and dads- and not because its proper. This is attractive- stories are attractive.

I don't think this man was saying that I did not have a story- but I do think he percieves something very real about us- the twenty somethings. We move. alot. Perhaps because we can. Perhaps because we left home and we don't know how to go back- so we wander around hoping we can make a new one.

So I guess the question I have is, what is home? The movie Garden State would say that Natalie Portman was home. It was the relationship that took away Large's homesickness- not the place, not the physical house where he grew up- not even his childhood friends- not even God.

The bible says I am a stranger. a soujourner. that my home is in heaven. The bible also says that I have a story- knit in my mother's womb. I am not just some meandering soul waiting for Jesus. I am created with a story. My actions are not arbitrary- but real lived out drama. The things that I do matter- they matter if only for the sole purpose that God delights in them.


I do not know why we wander. I wish that man at my church knew our stories. Perhaps we should learn to share them better.




3 comments :

Anonymous said...

Interesting question . . . Chapter II of my life forces my mind to contemplate if such a place exists anymore; has it been absorbed into a world where boundaries and limits are extinct? So, maybe the better question is "What was Home"?

. . . Dictionary.com describes it as an environment offering security and happiness.

. . . Dryden wrote "Home is the refuge of our life".

. . . Byron wrote "He entered in his house - his home no more, For without hearts there is no home". (How easy it is to relate to such words.)

. . . Payne referred to it as "Home! home! sweet, sweet home!

. . . For Dorothy, it was Kansas.

. . . And for Jesus and His neighbor on the cross, it was a place called "Paradise".

. . . Ah, and I am reminded again, that the earthly home was intended only for temporary residence while the Master prepares a dwelling place filled with hearts and surrounded with love.

Homeward Bound . . . Sweet, sweet Paradise!

Brooke Jared said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brooke Jared said...

thanks for your thoughts. I like the idea of being homeward bound(brings to mind a nice paul simon song as well)...thanks again
bjared.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground