My husband saw this bumper sticker and likes to quote it me in my more "irrational" moments. I can be dramatic, this is true. I get bogged down a bit in the "what does it all mean" questions which can lead to hope, but also despair. I have found that despair happens more often when I forget my boundaries. As I quoted Douglas Coupland in a previous post, the secret (that is not so secret) is that I, we, you,- all of us need God. This is my boundary...that I believe in God. When I forget this, I peer into godlessness...which is nothingness. I watched this movie the other night called Garden State- and I lost my boundaries. This is a very good movie that explores the idea of home and homesickness. The relationships in this movie are broken- so broken that the lead guy, "Large" is just lost in sadness. The beauty of this movie is that Large meets this winsome girl(played by Natalie Portman) and they discover "home" in each other. It is a beautiful thing to see brokenness redeemed. One sees a glimpse of this in the film. However, it is empty in places. There is the notion that "this is all we have, so lets make the best of it"....and this, my friends, is where I forgot my boundaries(because I considered this as if it were true)..I am thankful for the story Jesus tells about the lost sheep. He says, "What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the 99 in the open country, and go after the one that was lost, until he finds it. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them 'Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost"...He is able( to rescue me from sin AND sad movies:)
I would be interested in your thoughts (especially if you have seen the film)...
happy Tuesday
No comments :
Post a Comment