*** post written last week
Oh Advent. Oh, somebody else writing about how they are going to do Christmas "right". Over the years, I have scoured the internets looking for wisdom, something, manna from heaven. Anything that would help our little family participate in Christmas without feeling like a#%holes (to quote my husband).
Because I am a planner, not at all, I started thinking about this around last Thursday night after the Turkey. I was already feeling the choke hold of this "giving" season, and the panic was setting in. And then something just clicked.
Do what you can, when you can. Don't ask permission. And Slow it way down.
I was watching a "vlog" the other day, a fellow blogger who so happens to be Catholic. She was telling us a little about herself, and I was struck by her confidence. Not, "I have this all figured out" kind of confidence, but rather, "We feel really good about how our family does things, it works for us, and we are content in that".
Ah contentment. Something in my DNA just wants something to be always be right or wrong, and yet I am rarely inspired or moved towards love when someone else behaves this way. I AM moved towards love and acceptance when I see someone content in their life, their decisions, and their ability to graciously live out those choices with others.
All that to say, we've been taking it slow. We ate by candle light last night as Josh has been reading our Advent scripture, retelling the story of redemption. We ate eggs and toast with jam. I will remember that night for a long time.
We bought a nativity, and the girls played for hours yesterday, with all kinds of theatrics. It was beautiful.
I have put two velvet ribbons on wreaths, and today we will probably buy a small Christmas tree.
We are going to celebrate the feast of St. Nicholas with candy and the Feast of St. Lucy with lights. I am sure we will visit Santa and I am sure we will have days and nights where we pretty much don't think about any of it and are happy to get in the bed with a heart that is weary and thankful that the day is done.
No comments :
Post a Comment