Somewhere over the last month, I kind of felt like I was losing my voice on this blog, which is usually symptomatic of my own life and choices. A few rough weeks of feeling not physically up to par, a couple of dr's throwing out the word "MS", a long few hours in an MRI tube getting scans of my brain- and well, whatever footing I felt that I had gained over the last few years, felt like it was withering away. This merged with a week of vacation with family, which always stirs homesickness in me.
I have also become increasingly self conscious about my words, my stories. I really see myself as a writer, and so my words may often lean into metaphors and melancholy, or sarcasm, or overly pious. I blame the writer in me. The need for words to be more than words, to somehow wrangle some truth out of them, as I toss them out on the page. Maybe, just maybe, one word will make something clear again. for me, anyway.
I have taken a risk by letting perfect strangers, family, and dearest friends into my head, on this blog. This worries some, comforts others. I know, because you have told me so.
Anne Lamott says,
“You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should’ve behaved better.”
I think about these words a lot, because writing doesn't always mean making friends. But I have to balance that with the fact that I actually love my friends and my family and even my strangers.
Trying to make everyone comfortable with my words is wearisome and a challenge.
I think writers probably always struggle with this. The better ones, probably less. because they know that writing is risk taking. Telling stories is messy, just like the real life that we live. It's also beautiful, and love and redemption almost always peek through, and I think that's why we keep reading them. and for me, writing them.
I'm going to keep telling my stories here. Because this space has kept me sane.
My husband recently told my Dad that I was someone comfortable with sadness, and that this has been a way to bringing people into my life.
I am comfortable with sadness, but not in a glim way. Hopefully, I pray, in a real way.
I also want to be more comfortable with joy. and peace. These emotions are harder to access for me, but they are there, and I know the benefit of living in those spaces, too. I know, because I have sat in the presence of many of you who are gifted with such presence.
That's all for now. Summer is hot and busy for us. The kids have been sick and I just made sweet tea. I am reading a great book, and I do not have MS.
It's all good people. It's all good and hard and happy and sad.
hugs.
brooke
8 comments :
I love seeing when you have written a new post!! I relate to your words and you seem to write them much better than I could ever deliver them. I identify so much with what you share. As always, I love your honest conversation.
Enjoy your sweet tea!
Thanks for letting me be a stranger, albeit connected by a winding thread of Covenant folks.
I took my "real" blog private, and then made it more private, and now I debate every day whether I should close it completely and put all those words back in a moleskin tucked between my mattress and the box springs. The other blog I use for public posts is an interesting place that feels a bit contradictory. I know that I have my birth trauma crowd reading occasionally, and they are okay with anything but Jesus. Then there's my mom who reads, who is only okay with Jesus. Makes me want to disappear sometimes, worrying about what people might think. (If only I could graduate from that problem.)
MS. That's heavy stuff to wade through. I'm glad to hear that the results turned out on a happy note, but sorry that you wrestled with symptoms that made them throw those words out there in the first place.
It's interesting that you would use that particular quote by Anne Lamott in this post. We've been using it just this week to help explain why we are speaking out and naming names regarding some birth trauma stuff. I used it to help my family and friends who wish I'd go back to being quiet and compliant understand why it is that I occasionally can be found holding a sign on a street corner in front of a hospital. Because some chapters of our story are ugly and messy, and sometimes they embarrass other people who would rather only read about the sunshine and rainbows moments of life.
Anyway, that's a longwinded explanation to just say, thanks. I like "coincidences" like that. Hugs from a God who loves us where we are on the journey, I say.
And I'm glad you keep writing. It's a gift.
I check in with your blog every now and then, Brooke and I am always grateful to hear your thoughts. Thanks for continuing to step into the scary places.
I'm so glad you posted! I was about to call you and tell you I was missing your blog! AND I can't believe you waited until the end to tell us you were ok! I was getting really worried. Clearly we need to catch up! I love your blog, friend and hope your keep writing! love you.
I regularly read your words BECAUSE they are sad, & honest, & true to life. Life is messy & dirty. But you already know that :-)
we all mingle in the dirty, messy, un-beautiful places of our lives and others lives - if you didn't write about "the real" I have a feeling there would be very few readers. It is the "real" that draws us in - knowing we all struggle in this ugly yet beautiful life. I love your heart - I love how you express it with words. Keep it coming!! And just reading the MS word made me very scared - so very glad that is not the case. love you friend.
we all mingle in the dirty, messy, un-beautiful places of our lives and others lives - if you didn't write about "the real" I have a feeling there would be very few readers. It is the "real" that draws us in - knowing we all struggle in this ugly yet beautiful life. I love your heart - I love how you express it with words. Keep it coming!! And just reading the MS word made me very scared - so very glad that is not the case. love you friend.
Please don't stop blogging. I don't blog, and I don't read blogs...except yours! You have a gift with words-a true gift. There's still risk in using any gift to its fullest potential, but it's so worth the risk at times, right?
MS. What in the world? Praying.
Post a Comment