lenten thoughts

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

This past week at RCIA (this is our Catholic "class" we attend every week, which is basically like 6 months of seminary in condensed form- it's been so great!), Father Jack lectured on the 10 commandments in such a refreshing way (and humbling). Anyway, I have been thinking a lot about "coveting thy neighbors goods".

I think one of the great struggles in my identity and spiritual life stems from this commandment.

This is no fault of my parents. My parents were (and are) very hard working and generous. I am sure there were times we lived beyond our means, but we were not fed with a silver spoon. One of the things (that still annoys me, but I think its very good), is that my Father never handed money over to us. If we needed something, he always asked, "how much do you think you need?". I never wanted to do this work, because it felt humbling, but it really made me think about what I really needed- and I think forced me to be honest.

Another thing that my parents did was send me to a private school (both high school and  college). This, again, was no little sacrifice, but it is also where I learned about my own heart and its tendency to covet. In high school, I was exposed to the elite South, the world of country clubs and exclusivity. I had friends who wore designer clothes and never repeated outfits. They vacationed on Sea Island and spent their Summers at the country club pool.

The irony was that I found this lifestyle really undesirable. It looked and felt ugly to me, and yet at the same time I hated feeling on the fringe. We were hardly poor, hardly suffering, and lived like kings and queens comparatively. Nevertheless, it made an impression, and one I have struggled with my entire life.

Thankfully, college brought the much needed space from that. When kids are separated from their parents and their homes, they tend to make their own identity, and Samford felt that way to me. Sure, I rubbed up against the old demons, but for the most part, I felt good in my own skin.

I was becoming.

I feel like, for most of my life, I have been fighting to be me. I win much of the time, but sometimes I just lose.

Yesterday, I took the girls to the park, and overheard two mom's talking about their 600 K homes. I have plenty of friends who have nice homes, and they are kind, and humble, and would not be having this conversation. But these women were. I had the feeling that one of the women was trying to fit in, earn a friendship, but it just made me feel small, and reminded me what I do not have.

And that's ok. That's not my life. I have a good, blessed life. I have more than I need.

yes, I have linoleum kitchen floors, and they really do a great job of keeping me humble.

I walked away sad yesterday. sad that the old coveting was still there. I repented.

and played on the floor for three hours with my one year old.

because that is what matters.

5 comments :

Stephanie said...

Next time you feel sad about what you don't have, consider having to clean those 600K houses. Makes me thankful for my 1200 sq ft!

Allison said...

thanks for sharing, brooke. honest conversation like that is good for my soul!

susan said...

How do you have a conversation about a $600K home? Are you like "Well, see, I have a house that costs this much..."

That is very strange. And kind of common. And you can bet that most of it was BS.

Cynical much, Su? :-)

sls

susan said...

How do you have a conversation about a $600K home? Are you like "Well, see, I have a house that costs this much..."

That is very strange. And kind of common. And you can bet that most of it was BS.

Cynical much, Su? :-)

sls

Brooke Jared said...

susan- yes, that's basically how it went. It was strange, and I definitely sense that they were not good friends, which is what I think made me the most sad- because I saw myself being that way, wanting "in"- it was probably good for me to hear the conversation. to remind me of what's ugly and what's beautiful, and lean into the latter.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground