home

Thursday, May 20, 2010

well, that was a whirlwind of a trip.

Annie's appointment went as well as it could have. The current diagnosis stands- alopecia. We're starting some new treatments, as soon as we get all the stupid insurance stuff sorted out. We'll be doing this for 6 months. Two different topical steroids and Rogaine! who knew....

I felt really great about getting some expectations hammered out. The main one being that this could take a long time. The treatments may or may not work. And she may get hair back no matter if we did the treatments or not. If she does grow her hair back, which there is evidence that she is growing new hair, it could take years.

I asked every question I could think of, and at the end felt like we had made the right decision about seeing the pediatric dermatologist. Did you know there are only a handful of pediatric dermatologists in the United States? I feel so thankful to be within driving distance to this clinic.

I am glad to have this behind us, for now. I am totally exhausted and feel like I could sleep for days. and days. and days.

thanks so much for all your kind words and emails and prayers.

3 comments :

marnie said...

Brooke & Josh,

Annie is blessed to have you as her parents. You will go to any length to help her. May God bring her hair back and even more than she had before.
Thinking & praying for you all often.

In Him, Marilyn B.

Lauren said...

Hi Brooke, I'm a friend of Whitney's. I think we've maybe met once or twice here or there. I read your sweet blog from time to time and Whitney keeps me updated on your life as well. Just wanted to pass along a little encouragement about this whole alpoecia deal. One of my oldest and dearest friends from grade school (we also lived together in college) has alopecia totalis. It's something that I've known well for the last 21 or so years as I've walked through life with her. Yes, there have been tears and insecurities. But more so, fun and laughter, trips to Europe, boys, state tennis runner-up, etc. She married an AU student athlete, runs half-marathons and has two beautiful babies. People LOVE her and are so drawn to her. I want to be like her in so many ways. I say this not to diminish what you guys are walking through, just to hopefully encourage you that Annie's life will be full and good.

brooke jared said...

thanks marilyn, so much.

and lauren, thank, you as well. if you wanted to pass my blog along to your friend, I would love to connect with her. I just feel like I may need some wisdom along the way, and would love to be connected to someone who has walked through this. thanks for the encouragement!!!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground