One of those topics is the tension I feel with media (both online and "tv")- and how I want to be connected and knowledgeable- yet I feel the need more and more to purge myself from it (especially tv). Now, I like good television and films, a lot, but I find myself becoming less able to discern what its worth. Am I forfeiting something (namely brain cells), for mere entertainment? Now, some entertainment I find totally worthy. Say, "The Office". But then there is "The Bachelor". My husband watches only minutes of this in horror- and he is a reasonable guy. I "know" instinctively, that there is something completely disordered about the show- but I continue to watch (often aghast)- the way you look at crash scene on the highway- knowing it's not a good scene, but unwilling to take my eyes off of it.
And then there is the Internet. I just started Twittering. God help me. As if my facebook statuses were not enough to keep the world informed. And yet, here (or there) I am, telling the handful of people who "follow" me, that I just went to Target and bought sausage. Because you need to know that about me.
But the thing is- I like it. I have no idea why. Maybe because it makes this Macbook seem more like a person. Less computer, and more like a magic window where people live inside.
Umm, I think I am on to something.
And then, like yesterday, I went on this really nice walk, by myself, on a nice trail- and I could hear birds (real, live ones), and heard kids playing , and I could hear my feet on the gravel, and I could see the sky in its beautiful blue-ness, and I thought- this is where the life is. This is where I feel most alive.
And then I went home and watched "The Office". on the internet.
1 comment :
You know, I really don't see what's so terrible about spit up and poop. :)
Post a Comment