confused

Friday, January 26, 2007

I am off today, so I have had a slow morning of internet perusing and muffled today show background noise. I was reading and I heard something on the tv about moms, playdates, and cocktails, so I thought I should pay attention. I don't know what I was expecting to see, maybe some large breasted woman taking down a few margaritas while their children ate boxes of chocolates? (only because they were selling this as "controversial")...so they procede to show 4 or 5 fairly yuppy moms eating goat cheese salad and drinking a modest glass of white wine, while their children were playing with each other. I think one lady was actually holding her new born. This is controversial? really? I find it so interesting that we live in a culture that is supposedly so "tolerant", believes in a woman's right to choose whether or not she even wants to keep a child that is growing in her womb, and yet drinking a glass of wine with your goat cheese salad is scandalous? unhealthy even? There were two ladies from opposing viewpoints on the interview. The one against white wine play dates was like, "we need to represent healthier lifestyle choices, instead of showing our kids they way to be social involves "substances"... The other mom, of course thought this was ridiculous, as if she was carrying around a bottle of vodka in her prada bag. I kept thinking, surely Meridith V. will not think the white wine lady is a wino, but then she asks her..."would you let your babysitter drink with her friends while she kept your kids?" What an unfair question. Having a glass of wine with your goat cheese salad is a wee bit different than letting your baby sitter have a drinking party, isn't it? I liked the white wine mom. She said something to the effect of, " I represent the mom who occasionally would like to sell their kid on eBay"....I liked her. She had levity. She was a decent human being, who loved her kids, and drank white wine with her goat cheese salad while her kids played with Lego's. I suppose the other lady was a good mom, too, but this segment was a bit over the top, I think- making gross generalizations and sweeping judgements. This world is confusing to me. And for the record, I like tea with my goat cheese salad.

***disclaimer. I am not making light of real substance abuse issues here. I have plenty of that in my own family history and know first hand the damage it does, to multiple generations. I am sure there are moms who actually do carry vodka in their prada bags. and that is probably not a good thing.

10 comments :

M. Stewart said...

I've noticed that in the South there is a different view towards alcohol. I was discussing this with a colleague who said that Southerns are used to seeing violent, abusive drunks, and proper minded Southerners think that's what drinking leads to.

Growing up in CA, I'd say that this isn't dangerous unless it gets to the point of drunkenness and negligence. Drinking wine was a part of our culture.

Also, drinking wine in moderation is VERY healthy. I also think it is socially and spiritually healthy to drink in front of your kids and model for them what a temperate, biblically-centered view of wine, feasting, and fellowship looks like.

Anonymous said...

I saw the preview for this segment before I left for work this morning and thought to myself "I think a play date with wine-drinking-moms is a fabulous idea...I need to find one of those." :)

Anonymous said...

Jack called beer 'coke' when he started using his words b/c that is what his reference is.But I correct him and tell him what it is as well as wine is wine not juice. When I do this I keep playing a scenario in my mind where he uses these words in front of strangers and they take it wrong, hopfully they and I will laugh it off. I would go to a play date like that.

Brooke Jared said...

tirzah

remember that day we went to see penguins with maria at the zoo and drank wine with sprite? wow, that's not a sentence you see everyday.

fun times....

Tirzah said...

Iguess we were the trend setters. Who knew?

Suzanne Owen Jones said...

I represent the mom who occasionally would like to sell their kid on eBay"...I laughed out loud, love anyone who is that honest period, much less on tv. there are plenty of wine play-groups in bham, i have several friends that are in them and love it. also, wine with sprite at the zoo? that is hysterical.

kristen said...

I want to join a wine playgroup!

Our group meets at 9:30 for breakfast so I guess wine might be a little much for some people with their scrambled eggs, but this is inspiring me to bring mimosas next time we are all healthy enough to go.

Anonymous said...

I saw the segment Brooke and felt similarly to you. I wanted to slip something in the conservative woman's orange juice to help her loosen up!

Anonymous said...

Motherhood is hard enough to deal with at times and life is too short for people to get hung up on "messing up the kiddos psyche". I have 2 old friends that use to have "cocktail" time, in their front yards,right before their husbands would arrive home from work and all 5 of their children are great teenagers:)
On another note,please tell Josh that WCS is having SIAW this week,they are performing "Merchant
of Venice...you both should come up to STL to see it.
Take care. Marilyn Baker

susan said...

Ten to one the anti-wine mom is on some sort of Lexapro or Prozac or snorts her kid's Ritalin. (Not that that is bad...well the Ritalin thing is bad.)

If cheese is a substance to be abused, I need rehab forthwith.

Su

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground