one of my friend's commented on my previous post, calling my day "the liturgy of a mom". I loved that. A sense of ceremony given to my day. (a day that often feels mundane).
Last night as I was holding my feverish baby in the wee hours, I was reminded that liturgy is more than just the words or order- but it is about presence. In the middle of the night, all the tasks had been done, but what was needed was presence. And so, I held sweet Amelia until the Tylenol took the aches away, and she was able to settle (albeit restlessly) into sleep for a few hours.
Sometimes all we can do is be present. We may not have words, or even peace or contentment, but we can settle into the moment, and be there.
I was reminded last night, that really holding her in that moment was all that mattered. that's hard for me. As I am usually staring down my days like a long road set apart by mile markers- wondering when we'll hit a rest stop.
Being up all night is no fun, but the lessons it teaches me are good.
very good.
1 comment :
"Sometimes all we can do is be present. We may not have words, or even peace or contentment, but we can settle into the moment, and be there." - Well said, Brooke. Explains MUCH of my life in Uganda and I'm guessing in South Sudan as well. And people think Africa is worlds away...many times it looks surprisingly like life here - just the details are different.
Post a Comment