checking in.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas out there. I am jealous of all the white snow that many of you had!

Ours was low key this year. Annie succumbed to another virus on Christmas Eve, followed by nights of not sleeping, and a diagnosis of "an ear full of fluid" today. ugh. This month of sickness has wiped me out physically and emotionally, as I waddle around, stirring up Braxton Hicks contractions and eating sugar free strawberry jello. jealous?

So, December ended up being a bit overwhelming with little nourishment for my heart. I missed every Sunday of Advent, and the Christmas Eve Service, which I was really looking forward to. I know this is part of the package- parenting and raising the little ones- but sometimes you feel like your little one is getting picked on way too much. But then she's on her way to a three hour nap (like right now) and you think you might actually be able to have a coherent thought again. The sun may shine again. You might actually be able to unwind with a glass of wine again one day, and enjoy a big ass brownie.

Thankfully, Josh took Annie to the Dr. today. It would have been my 4th time in a month (and she goes next week for her 2 year check-up, so at least we have next week covered should something else come our way)- but I just didn't have the emotional stamina to walk into that office again. I felt like we needed new questions, anyway, and Josh is good and covering the bases in that regard. Our biggest one, of course, is when do we call it quits with these ear infections. She said 4-6, and then we get an ENT consult. I hope she doesn't get anymore, but I will not hesitate one iota to have tubes placed. We need a sleeping Annie before Amelia arrives.

With all that said, we are blessed, and even in our fatigue, I know this. A little beaten down, but not defeated.

And now we look ahead to a new Year- a big year for our family! Hope the nesting kicks in soon....


3 comments :

Inkling said...

I feel your pain. Really. Our little one was hospitalized the week before American Thanksgiving, and got released with doc's approval just in time for us to hop on a plane so my grandparents wouldn't be devastated. I think we had one healthy week between the hospital and now. He's almost two. Do they just pick up every germ on the planet (and generously share it with the mama) at this age? We were sick the two weeks leading up to Christmas and still have a little of whatever respiratory thing it is. (It's hard to get well when I'm up half the night taking care of him. And all of his bugs end up acting like asthma...so not fun.) The not having Advent or church was hard, but watching the Nativity Story on dvd and talking to Jesus a whole bunch kept me somewhat okay with the disappointment. And I have to admit that it was nice just having the three of us here on Christmas day in our jammies all day long. It wasn't what we'd planned, but it was peaceful and slow paced, perhaps a gift in disguise I'm thinking.

I'll be praying for your family and for Annie to get better and stay well. And if it is her ears, I'll be praying for the whole tube thing to go well and do what it's supposed to do. And of course, I'll pray for both of us to have the endurance needed at this stage where our toddlers so generously share every germ they meet with us. =)

Marc & Amy said...

oh, Brooke. Seriously, what I want to know is-- does it ever end???? Hang in there.

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry friend! Harry got his first really bad cold and fluid in his ear the week before Christmas. We took him to the doctor twice because he also developed some awful looking rash all over his body. It didn't make me feel better to then read about how toddlers generally get 7 colds a year...7??!!!! Are you kidding me? If this is the start to that cycle for us, I'm not excited. I know between Jenn's little ones and Todd and herself, they had seven weeks of sickness right up until Christmas. Germs suck. Praying for you and Josh to have some relief...especially since tomorrow is your birthday-you deserve a break!!!!!! Will be thinking of you on your special day-Happy early Birthday friend!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground