better

Thursday, September 09, 2010

Even though Annie didn't fall asleep until 1 am last night, and my throat feels like it's full of razor blades, I am happy to say this day has ended well, with some peace, and a sleeping child.

I just listened to a talk of an old friend of mine, a woman whose house was the first home of our beloved church in St. Louis, Grace and Peace. There is so much about my time there that feels like a foundation to my story- our story, that it felt so peaceful to sit under this wise woman's words, even over the internets. I felt like I was back in her home, eating for lovely food, and enjoying her kind presence. We loved her and her husband's home. The Walker Percy print that hung on the wall as you entered the house. We knew we were in kindred territory early on. She catered my wedding. Prayed for us. Sent us off with a picnic lunch when we moved away. Chicken salad sandwiches cut into hearts. I cried my eyes out when I opened up that box in the middle of Mcdonalds somewhere in Kentucky.

It is good the hear the words of a woman who has lived 77 plus years of life. She spoke of periods where her and her husband hobbled through life. And yet, to hear her recount the life story, it is filled with such joy. such gratitude. such contentment.

To think that one day, these sleepless nights. These disgruntled church years. This wilderness season, will be but a blip on the radar.

you can listen here


2 comments :

Inkling said...

Thanks for posting this. I'm halfway through it now and am loving it. Her joy is contagious and her way of speaking shows such a beautiful spirit. I must confess though that hearing her speak of places I know well makes me a little homesick for STL way up here on the west coast of Canada.

I get what you mean about the whole church thing. I think our souls crave that truth, beauty, and goodness that is found in liturgy and depth of teaching. Though I have a wonderful church family here full of loving people who love Jesus, I miss the same things of which you speak.

Sometimes I think God lets us feel the pangs of homesickness so deeply so we will ultimately long for home with Him.

thanks for blogging....I always love to stop here and hear your heart

Brooke Jared said...

Hi Inkling! No problem. I like to pass along any encouragement I can find...

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground