not just whimsy

Sunday, June 13, 2010

I was at a wedding last night where an anglican priest waxed poetically his wedding homily.
it was simple and beautiful and real.

Josh and I are drawn to the liturgical church not just because it's "pretty", or we like "liturgy"- it's more than that.

It's the principle of the liturgy.

It's the reenactment of the gospel in the liturgy.

It's the church year, where we walk the steps of Jesus, year in and year out. Telling ourselves the story over and over, in the hopes, that we just might get it.

It's the consummation of the Lord's Supper- the thing we look forward to each time we worship. The Table, where we find grace. Where we bring the ridiculousness of our petty complaints to Jesus, admit our waywardness, and drink grace. and then we carry a wee bit of hope on our back, in the hopes that our hearts are more soft and pliable than last week. That maybe, sentence by sentence in this big story, we are becoming more like Jesus.

believe me, sometimes I feel like I am going the other direction.

so anyway, I was planning on taking a writing break this month, and I probably will continue. But I was struck by the homily last night, and it moved my heart in such a way as to not give up.

We're not in a liturgical church right now. And there are reasons for that, mostly having to do with finding something that works for our family. I have hope that we will find our way.

It's not just whimsy. what we long for.
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground