first of all- I feel the need to for a disclaimer.
I know most of you could care less about the play by plays of annie's illness. but, this blog also acts as a news source for family, and they actually do care (and you may, too), but anyway- bla bla bla- feel free to move onto your next blog. If you want to commiserate with me, by all means, stick around!!!
So, I took Annie to the Dr. yesterday- double ear infections, as I suspected. Was it slightly sick of me to want her to have them? I just felt like if there was not an answer to her REFUSAL to sleep, I just might lose my ever loving mind.
So, we're on the pink stuff for 10 days.
and now for MORE drama.
We go to a big practice, which has its pros and cons.
pro: you can always be seen by someone, with little wait.
cons. they don't know who you are from one visit to the next. this is starting to bother me.
back to the story.
We saw Dr. S. yesterday. I work with all these docs in the nursery, so I know how they are, and I like all of them. Dr. S is the more sober one of the practice. Quiet, thoughtful, thorough. Annie LOVED him.
and by love, I mean- she was not squirmy and let him stick a pokey instrument in her ear.
So, as we were chatting he asked me if she has had any problems with oral antibiotics. I said, quite proudly of my Sam's Formula fed baby- that she has never been sick. She has had a hint of a cold, but nothing like this.
I, then mentioned that she had lost her hair in December- or at least most of it- and from there, I could tell he was cranking on something. So, we chatted about that for awhile, answered some questions- and then he left for 15 minutes.
Dr. S came back in, gave me the low down on the antibiotics, and then jumped back on the hair loss train. He was concerned, perplexed, enamored, etc...
He asked if she had been sick. no, I said, siting the previous conversation.
so he starts throwing out possibilities....
immune deficiency? well, she has never been sick until now.
metabolic disorder? well, no other signs or symptoms? thyroid screen was normal
ugh.
so, he wants to "investigate". and then draw some lab work and have her screened for some most likely rare disorders.
I left with my stomach twisted in knots.
I think the thing he is more perplexed by is that she doesn't seem to have a ton of new hair growth. In fact, in some places it doesn't look like there is any at all.
I am trying not to worry. I kind of feel like I want to take her to a dermatologist before I let them poke on her again- I mean, if this is related to a stressful event (which can cause hairloss)- I certainly don't want to induce another one. I have a sensitive child on my hands, it seems.
If you made it this far- and you have any experience with this, by all means, pass on the info.
As for Annie- after a major meltdown last night which called me away from my book club, Annie finally gave it up and slept for like 7 hours. I woke up and realized I had been in a coma for who knows how long, and was shocked that it was morning, and the child was sleeping.
Of course, she won't nap now, but you take what you get.
and i love her, which covers a multitude of frustrations...
I leave with a prayer.
Dear God, give my child hair.
love,
Brooke
3 comments :
Oh I hate that all this is going on with Annie! please, Lord, help now - you say you know when a hair falls from our heads - so this is a big deal to you.
So glad you both finally got some sleep Brooke. I'm praying.
Oh Brooke! I am glad you took her and that it was ear infections-at least now you have medicine. As for the hair loss-I will be praying for you and her and your doctor. I hope it's nothing serious. Praying for a healthy baby girl for you!
love the new house! So sorry about little Annie - hopefully you'll have some answers soon and it will NOT be anything major. I'm in the same boat with you on ear infections - Eli has one now and a terrible cough. It makes my heart hurt when my children are sick - you just want them to be happy and well. Praying for Annie!!
Post a Comment