Look at the pretty baby, and not me:)

Wednesday, December 17, 2008





I'll write more later, but this is Annie Ruth Jared. Born Dec. 16, 2008. She weighed 8 lbs, 20 inches and some change. 

We went in to the hospital Monday night to be induced after a long day of contractions. However, we arrived to see that I was already in labor and dilated to 3. I had an epidural by midnight and was feeling good...

Things started going down hill around 6 yesterday morning. I was dilated around 6 or 7, and received a boost for my epidural and the dr. broke my water. It became apparent very quickly that the epidural was no longer working, so another was put in while I was dilated to 8. I was feeling full on transition labor, so this was ummm....not in my birth plan:)

The next epidural worked, but there was still some "problem areas", shall we say, which made things pretty much miserable.

I was at 10 cm by 11 or so, and so we started pushing- after an hour and a half- I was literally falling asleep between pushes- which were pretty unbearable due to the lack of epidural working. My Dr. made the call to do a c-section.

In order to this, however, the anesthesiologist had to put in a spinal block, with me sitting up, with a baby wanting to come out:) He performed some kind of miracle in those moments, because I was screaming bloody murder.

The bad news is that it worked too well, numbed me way to high, and I could no longer breathe or talk- so he had to put me under, intubate me, etc....

The baby was difficult to deliver- even via c-section and heavily sedated from all the drugs I had been on, trying to get the epidural right. They (I was told) intubated her rather quickly and sent her to NICU fairly quickly. I was assured that she pinked up nicely even in the operating room, but for obvious reasons needed to get her seen about, stabalized, etc...

So, all in all a traumatic day for us- It will be awhile before either one of comes to grips with just how difficult it was, how scary. I was able to hold and see Annie last nite due to the kindness of a very lovely nurse. Because of all my complications, they really did not want me "traveling", to see the baby- but I was adamant that I needed to see my child!!! I was feeling so disconnected. Anyway- it was a beautiful moment. I was able to hold her, and she accidently pulled her breathing tube out- but it was fine, as she was ready to be taken on the ventilator anyway. She let out a few wimpers and girly cries, and then settled into my arms as calm as can be. It was a short visit, and I was so sad to leave her, but it made Josh and I both feel so good to see and be with her.

Hopefully today will be her last in the NICU- and I'l get to feed her, and get more acquainted with her and all that stuff.

There are a few photos above. She has lots of dark and hair and good solid cheeks:)

Pray we all recover fast...I am feeling really good. A little sore, but compared to the labor, this feels like a walk in the park, so I am thankful. 

much love-
brooke

19 comments :

Anonymous said...

Brooke, she's beautiful! I'm crying. I talked to Joy and Suz yesterday and I'm so sorry that you had such a horrible labor, I hate that for you. But I'm so glad that you're both safe and well. Love you! Praying for you all ... welcome to the world, little one!

Jenn said...

Beautiful - just beautiful! I'm so glad Annie is here and so thankful you both have made it through a very difficult pregnancy and labor. I was praying so hard for you yesterday - Carrie was sending us updated emails so we knew what was going on. Love you friend and I can't wait to meet Annie. I will continue to pray for a quick recovery for you!

we are the spencers said...

i have been stalking your blog for a long time and am so excited for you all! congratulations! what a beautiful miracle annie is. hope you recover quickly and get to be with annie and bond with her soon! she is adorable.

Camille said...

Brooke! Beautiful! she is absolutely gorgeous! So good to talk to you! Love you!

Ashley said...

She is gorgeous!!! So sorry to hear how tough labor was for you (and for Annie), but I'm so glad you both made it through okay. I kept saying, "Oh my gosh" as I read what you wrote and finally Andrew says, "I don't even want to know, or I promise I'm never letting you go through that." We are truly thrilled for all of you, and we can't wait to see more pics of that beautiful little girl!!

Allison said...

I have been checking every day to hear the news. She is beautiful and I am so glad that everyone is okay. Can't wait to see more pics later on. Welcome to the world Annie Ruth!

Jackie said...

Brooke, she is absolutely precious...so very, very cute! What a happy family! I'm so thrilled that this long journey for you has finally come to fruition. Annie has quite a story already...she will always know how much she is love and wanted. I'm so glad to hear that you all are well and recovering. I can't wait to meet Annie!
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Brooke and Josh,

She is sure a beautiful girl. What a birth story! Yikes. I'm glad you had doctors around that knew how to take care of you both. I hope you get more time with that baby of yours today. So happy for you!

Maria

Sue Brown said...

Brooke, Annie is beautiful, so pretty and pink. Sorry you had such a hard time, but the end result is so precious. Gary & I have been praying for a safe delivery and now we will be praying for a quick recovery so that you and Josh can enjoy every moment with your new daughter. Love Aunt Sue

kristen said...

Welcome to the world, Annie! She's beautiful, Brooke, congratulations!

Whitney said...

i can't stop looking at her - she is perfect. i am so proud of you. love, love.

Alyssa said...

She is beautiful! We will be praying for a quick recovery and a smooth adjustment.

Anonymous said...

Brooke and Josh - I am so excited for you! That must've been such a scary experience but God has his hand on your family the whole time. What a blessing! Little Annie Ruth is precious! Congratulations!

Courtney said...

Brooke, she is precious. I am glad that Annie is finally here. And that the two of you made it through the tiring day. You rest up and take good care of yourself - and Annie - but I know you will take care of her if anything you will be tempted to overlook yourself.
Congrats!
love,
cgh

Dustin Baker said...

I am crying looking at those pictures. What a miracle. Cannot wait to meet our niece! Know we are praying for you guys, and we will see you soon!

sbh said...

oh brooke. i'm so glad she's here. i'm sorry it was difficult for all of you, but just so grateful that she is healthy and beautiful! love, sarah

erin nolen said...

congratulations, brooke!

Anonymous said...

miracle.

Becky said...

Dear Brooke and Josh,
I am so relieved to put my "nurse eyes" on you and little Annie to know you are o.k. Everyone is beautiful, and yes, Brooke, that means you too! Sounds like granny Rhonda, who as a rule, does NOT do hospitals, was a real champ! love and blessings to you all, and Merry Christmas to you with your little miracle. love, Becky

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground