things that are on my brain

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

my favorite month just passed me by in a whirl. there were old friends and wedding prayers and sand and bikes and wine and breakfast conversation all mingled in. But it went fast, and it felt rushed, and I want it back.

I heard a song by the waifs today, gillian. i liked it, and thought it sweet and strange.

are you ever overwhelmed by memories that come to you in snapshots throughout the day. I was in surgery the other day, and I kept seeing all these old images, like where I went to preschool, or sitting in the lunch room in elementary school. They are so quick, the way they ease in and out. I guess all those things are trapped in our little brains, and sometimes they just need room to breathe. just interesting, that's all.

I know alot of people read this blog and care about josh and i, and where we are in our "journey" with trying to have a baby. I don't really like that word, because it sounds exciting or I don't know, different than how I feel about it, but I don't really know what word to use, so I will stick with that one.

long story short, we're still on it. I did a difficult thing this weekend- I decorated a room that I had left undecorated for two years, because it was supposed to be a nursery. I felt like I needed to live in the here and now, and in some odd way it is comforting to walk by that room, see a welcoming space, with pictures and life. I know that probably sounds really sad, but this is a sad thing-and yet putting some life in that room was a movement towards something hopeful.

So, we are in this place where we are grieving what we cannot have, at least at the present, and considering other avenues, namely adoption. I never in a million years thought this would be our story, but it is, and I am trying with all my heart to let it unfold.

so you can pray for us, or ask God to help us- we need it in all kinds of ways.

8 comments :

Camille said...

I am praying and love you.

Charlotte said...

Thank you for including us in your journey. We're praying, too.

Whitney said...

we are praying, too. i love you. and the song gillian...i found it last week and it is my new favorite! we really are sisters :)

Brooke Jared said...

thanks yall.

camille- thanks for calling yesterday.

charlotte- can we drink wine soon? like next week?

whitney- that is weird. and not all that surprising, even though I do not share your affinity for all things monogrammed:) you have good taste nonetheless!

Charlotte said...

YES! Let's get it worked out via email... I need to check my schedule that isn't supposed to have a lot on it, but somehow always does. I guess it's another one of those mysteries...

Anonymous said...

brooke,
thanks for your raw honesty in your journey...and in life in general. it always serves to encourage and refresh me (proverbs 11.25).
i am inspired by your willingness to live in the here and now and practice that in a tangible way by decorating the room. what a challenge...what a visual reminder...what a declaration!
i wrote a similar posting entitled "letting go"...and moving on, in a sense yet grieving at the same time.
glad to be present with you on the journey.
jb

Anonymous said...

oh, Brooke. i love you. thanks for these words. my prayers go with you.

Ashley said...

I wish I had read your blog before talking to you today. I could have told you how lucky I am to have you as a friend. Your courage inspires me to think more about taking hard steps. Thanks friend. Love you~ Ash

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground