this weekend was all over the map. friday, i spent the evening at a convent with the ladies at my church. I generally am not a retreat fan, only because I sleep horribly, and it echos of bad junior high church weekends at the 4-h camp. this place was pleasant. I still slept horribly, but I had a good time connecting with people. I feel hopeful, again, about this community- which is good.
Last nite, we had friends over and drank wine and ate good food and then made our way to a concert downtown. it was a long nite of music, an anniversary concert to Reg, who stole my heart many years ago. the radio show, that is.
mini review...
Stoll Vaughn- never heard of him. very entertaining. a johnny cash meets elvis/bob dylan mix. He sang this song about traveling to all these southern cities. Gosh, as much crap as i give the South, songs like that make me soooo nostalgic. For those brief three minutes, I fall in love with the South all over again. all and all, a good live musician. I would see him again
Matthew Perryman Jones- pleasantly surprised. I have listened to him some. I like him. not my favorite, but I like.
Jim James of My Morning Jacket- ok.ok. I know alot of people like this band. I can see why. I liked him for the first 9 songs. At song 30, I wanted what he was smoking, because he was obviously enjoying himself. I mean, he was a bit of a drama queen. I won't be very popular for saying that, but seriously, I just call things like I see them. Drama Queen.
Patty Griffin- you won't hear me say anything bad about Patty. Anyone that small who can sing that loud- I mean, she has serious pipes. This was not my first Patty show and not my favorite, but it was still good. she sang a good bit from her new album and some from her previous. Again, not a diverse set in regards to all her music, but still good. I actually have never heard her play anything from her first album live, which disappoints me because it still is one of my favorites.
so that's it. I have a super busy two weeks ahead of me. I might not resurface until March.
sigh.
4 comments :
I so agree about Jim James. We saw MMJ at Sloss, gosh, a long time ago and he made a complete jerk of himself during the concert. I just don't get it. I liked his weird little casio keyboard thing. He sounded like a Wes Anderson movie soundtrack. (No offense to Mark Mothersbaugh.)
I can't get Stoll Vaughan out of my mind and Patty blew me away. I've never been to a better concert. Ever.
I had so much fun with you this weekend.
Su
I was in Birmingham two weeks ago and saw ads for this concert and wished I could attend. Patty Griffin is amazing and I have never been able to work out seeing her live. She's playing here in San Francisco in a few weeks but its only a few days before our baby is due so I don't know, I might be foiled again. But, Reg's bash sounds like a fun time! (I do love MMJ, but Jim James solo might not be a bit weird.)
Well, although I love love love My Morning Jacket, especially after having seen them live several different times, I cannot forgive a 30-song opener.
I have been to a lot of shows — hundreds if not thousands — and only once did I witness a great opening band. I've seen many good openers, bands that I later grew to love, but this one was great. They played THREE SONGS, and then quit. It was glorious. It totally made me want to see them again, it was a sweet but unsatisfying taste, which is the whole point of being an opening band, is it not? Tantalize us, people! I mean, nobody is there to see you, you're only an opener. Why don't musicians get this?
"I'm a sensitive artist and I don't have to talk between my songs. OOOOOOOEEEEEEEEOOOOOOUUUUUUU"
JJ
Post a Comment