I have had to watch the film "Wit" on two occasions as an assignment for classes in seminary. This is such a well done film, and yet brutal to watch. It is an important film, though, on many levels. Emma Thompson plays an academic whose has given her life to the study of John Donne's Holy Sonnets. The short of it....She gets cancer. Weaved throughout the film is John Donne's poem, "Death be not proud, though have called thee mighty and dreadfull"....It is beautiful and harsh and poetic and sad. i digress. You should watch this movie, but this is not why I write.
Josh and I stopped by Griffin, Ga on our way home from the thanksgiving holiday. It was early in the morning and a stop I didn't want to make. My great uncle Clarence is dying, quite literally, of cancer. Clarence is quite legendary in our family, a surrogate grandfather to many, including myself. Such an interesting man, so broad in knowledge, and smart...really smart. He blows the small town southern sterotype to peices. His mind was always bigger than the South. As a man in his late 80's, he was taken with the internet. He said he could fly around the world with the touch of a finger. He loves to know.
When I walked into his room this past Saturday morning, it was as i had imagined. "Wit" prepared me for this. No hair, thin, pain, absence. He looked at me once, I told him that I loved him, that he was brave. I kept thinking of John Donne and the end of that great poem...
"One short sleepe past, we wake eternally, And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die."
We are taught in this world that death is normal. And I suppose on the surface it is. that is, normative to human life as we know it. We die. But, anyone who has seen death, or seen my uncle can see how ugly death really is. It is broken and unnatural, this is why we hate it so much.
I think John Donne gets this. He knows the reality of death...but our death is not final. one short sleep past, we wake eternally, and death shall be no more; death thou shalt die
This past Sunday was the first Sunday of advent. The season of waiting in the church. waiting for Jesus. Josh once said to me that advent is the season when you are able to admit that some tears don't get wiped away until heaven....and i add, where death shall be no more.
all my love to uncle clarence and mary jean (his wife of 65 years)
3 comments :
I am sorry about your uncle and find that I am mourning as I write this. Brook, I love what you wrote about death and Dun. I like what Dun said about death because he does not dismiss the abnormality of it while he shows and proclaims our Hope in our Father’s work and promise. He fixes the brokenness we feel and experience. I am praying for uncle, your aunt, your family and you, and praising God for who your uncle has been in your life and in the lives of others.
With love and in Christ,
LJ
Brooke,
Whitney sent us an email about Uncle Clarence's death today with a link to your blog. Just wanted you to know that I was thinking about all of you during this time!
Love,
Shannon Lewis
Brooke,
My heart is broken for you, Whit, and your family. Each of you are in my prayers during this difficult season.
Much love
Haley
Post a Comment