mad, hot ballroom

Monday, July 18, 2005















the strangest thing.....four summers ago, I went to NYC and worked at a summer day camp in Washington Heights. I helped tutor these kids, played in the fountains with them, and taught them a dance class...the cotton eyed joe was the dance du jour. I laughed my head off as these kids, who were from the Dominican Republic, danced a little jig with me. I had a favorite, her name was jatna....well, josh and I went to see a documentary yesterday (see poster)...and ALL those kids I was with in NYC were in this documentary...and jatna, she's the little girl on the poster. Can you believe that? I cried the entire film. so the documentary is about public schools in NYC who are doing this ball room dancing program. it is just hilarious and adorable, moving, etc.... they documented only three of the schools, one of which was Wahington Heights. It was so great to see these little kids have their moment of glory..so many of them come from such difficult circumstances. So many times we do things, like a short term mission trip, and wonder what good we did or we wonder what ever happens to these precious people. well, sometimes they become famous little ball room dancers!.....mad, hot ballroom, go see these wonderful kids!

1 comment :

Tirzah said...

What a fun circle. I bet you where proud as well as itching for them to break out some cotton eyed Joe. Love TR

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground